Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Birds Nest Necklace

My first DIY post will be how to make your own birds nest necklace.

I made several over the holidays, one for myself and a few others as gifts. I chose to create mine to represent our family, the pink bead representing myself and the blue and green representing my husband and son. I found tons of beautiful pictures online and just went off them to create the look.

What you will need:

-22 gauge wire
-Colorful beads
-Necklace chain
-Needle nose pliers (optional)

Take the wire and cut a section approximately 2 1/2 feet long and string the first bead onto the wire. Wrap the end of the wire around the bead to secure it in place.

Next string the rest of the beads and begin wrapping the wire around them. This is the part where your personal preference takes over. There is no exact method to how to wrap the wire, you can wrap as loosely or tightly as you like. You can also wrap the wire around the beads as much as you like. If you like the "nest" to be a bit fuller then I suggest cutting a longer piece of wire.

Once you are satisfied with the nest, you can begin wrapping the wire around the nest. This step is optional. Wrap the wire around the nest wires three times. I usually do this three times at different points of the nest.

The final step is to take the wire and create a loop so that you an thread it on your chain. Make a loop with the wire at the top of the nest then twist several times at the base of the loop. Secure the wire to the back of the necklace and trim away any excess wire.

And now you can thread it onto your chain and you have the finished product. They are perfect for Valentines Day, Mothers Day, Christmas or any other gift giving occasion.

No comments: