Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentines Day Wreath

I found this adorable yarn wreath on Pinterest and just had to make my own. I thought I would post a blog a bit more detailed instructions. There is a link to the originial post. I love all things crochet so I decided to do a little something different for the flowers.

What you will need:
- Styrofoam wreath
- Yarn
- Ribbon
- Flowers (crochet, felt, whatever you choose)

Take the yarn and begin wrapping it around the wreath. It seems like it will be a piece of cake, but it is a very slow process, and if you are as OCD as me every piece of yarn will have to be just so. But I assure you that the end result is work the time.

I recommend wrapping the yarn around at least twice. It will give the wreath a softer look, as if it is all yarn and no styrofoam base. When you are finished wrapping the yarn, simply tuck the end of the thread into the wreath. I used a large needle to do this.

Next take you need to make or get out your flowers. Like I said above, I love anything crocheted, so I decided to crochet flowers. The original post has instructions for felt flowers:

Valentines Wreath with Felt Flowers

Then take your ribbon and you can create whatever type of bow you want. I decided to do a simple bow and just loop each end and sew the ends together in the center. Attach the flowers to the ribbon.

Attach the ribbon to the wreath. You have two options here 1) sew the ribbon to the wreath and it will be exclusively a Valentines Day wreath 2) or you can do what I did, and just tie it on with yarn so it is removable. With option 2, you have the option of creating different ribbons and flowers for different occasions.

The last step is to attach the ribbon at the top so you can hang it on your door. I did another bow at the top and left a loop on the back that I can hang on the hook on my door. And there is your Valentines Day yarn wreath!